Saturday, March 12, 2011

Suicide - The easy way out?

  Another new piece from me...

DEAD END

Dear dead end,
You truly are my only friend,
The one who throws no insult or mockery,
The one who accepts all of me,
 Even though the rest of them exist,
In my eyes, you are real,
Your attraction is one I could not resist,
Albeit a lethal and forbidden appeal,
I lay my worthlessness to you,
Because life has betrayed me,
The scarcity of good is nothing new,
Always have, always will be,
I will now walk into the path of demise,
Leaving behind crumbs of hopelessness and goodbyes,
Perhaps grief will be my lasting legacy,
The one who lost the will to live.

Gerard Galvestini, Copyright 2011

I have to admit, life is never easy. There will always be difficulties along the way, whether you like it or not. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone fails at least once in whatever we do. There will always be people who doesn't like you for whatever reasons it may be. Perhaps someone in the family disagrees with the decisions that you make. Let's not forget about breaking-up with the one whom you thought will spend the rest of your time with. Whatever it is, the negative elements are all around us. We either deal with it and persevere or take the easy way out, usually a very nasty and gory solution.

Suicide is like a disease that infects people, especially youngsters. There was a news about a few months ago when a 22-year old man jumped off a building to his death. It seems sad that because a relationship ended, he choose to end his own life. He even hinted his intention on Facebook.

I've come across some of these suicide messages on people's FB status. I would like to admit, I've even posted a few of those messages myself. You see, the idea of suicide seems fascinating when one is in a deep stage of hopelessness and worthlessness. It appears to them as some sort of 'saviour' that promised to rescue them out of meaningless life. I tried to actually commit suicide once. I was at an empty classroom on the 9th floor of the university campus. I was studying engineering at that time. Because I was studying something that I didn't like and was imposed on me, the stress of it overwhelmed me. For some reason, jumping out of the window seems like a good idea. I was about to climb out of the window when something inside of me told me to STOP. Immediately I 'woke up', realizing what I was about to do and moved away from the window. I was literally shaken by fear as I exit the classroom. And that's about it.
I'm used to being ridiculed whenever I posted cries for help on FB, but how do you respond to such post? Do you show your concern to that person? Or do you dismiss that person as being 'emo'? What if it's your friend? Or maybe a member of your family? What are you going to do about it? Well, it's up to you.

until then.........

1 comment:

Megan said...

I know suicide is a very touchy subject, and I'm not trying to disregard the feelings of hopelessness and depression, because they can be very real, but I never think suicide is the answer. It's a very selfish act.