Monday, April 4, 2011

Music preferances - Do music genres define one's worth in life?

A thousand apologies to everyone for not posting new posts. Typical writer's block syndrome.

Anyway,

I had a cousin who came from Sibu (originally there were 2 of them, but 1 went back) who is a self-proclaimed metalhead. At any given opportunity, you can hear harsh screaming, insane guitar riffs and the violent sounds of double-bass drums followed by lyrics that are between ranges from the sad reality of life to satan worship played either on his handphone or my laptop. I have to admit, I used to think that heavy metal is cool and those who hates heavy metal and/or listens to pop music are corporate-infected swines that deserved to be erased off the face of the Earth...... simply because they don't know 'real music'. Having my cousin around reminds me of that particular part of my past.

Over the years, I began to realize that music preferances are subjective and with this epiphany, I began to branch out to other types of music. Listening to song by boybands or pop singers does not make me less of a man compared to listening to heavy metal. It just means that I like those songs. I'm still me. End of story.

If only there was a time machine and I could afford one, I'd certainly be surprised at myself for letting certain music genres define who I am. Limiting oneself to certain 'acceptable' music does have its own dentrimental effects as one would not be able to experience the colours of life. I know, I myself was like that.

Besides, you don't even have to 'like' all music genres. You just enjoy whatever song, regardless of what genres they are. What's more important is to be YOURSELF.

Well, that's about it. Until then................

P/S: Since I'm starting working tomorrow, I might not be able to update my blog as often as I could. But I'll still read your post and comment them.

1 comment:

Jade Elizabeth said...

I completely agree. Who decides what's "real" music and what isn't?
All of my favorite songs are from an array of different genres.