Sunday, September 26, 2010

The simple joy of walking in a car-driven world.

What a rainy day today is!

If given the choice, I'd choose walking over driving, even if it takes me 1 hour to reach my destination.

Everytime I told people my decision of walking instead of driving, people stared at me in disbelief. Immediately people would ask me whether this decision is burdensome (aka tiring)?

A "yes" would be my answer. But this can be solved over time. You see, the reasons for my decision are not environmental or budgeting reasons, although they do matter. It's the simple joy of making discovery after discovery, however insignificant they are to others, that excites me.

Let me give you an example. About 2 days ago, I was walking to uni with my table fan (as in, electrical appliance fan, not someone who's obsessed with me fan). Then a middle-aged lady passed by while giving me some weird look. I was puzzled by the way she looked at me. I thought she must have never seen a fan before. Then I looked at my fan and, lo and behold, the propeller rotated by itself. Even I was amazed before I found out it was the wind that rotates the propeller. But it did make people curious, though.

Oh, ya. Another reason I choose walking over driving is because I can literally move though traffic. Even if the road is not easily cross-able, I can still remain in movement, cos I had difficulty remaining still. Beside, if the traffic gets congested, I can still move through the traffic, musical-ling (singing + dancing) my way to my destination. Besides, unlike humans, cars deteriorate with usage whereas we improve with usage.

Everyone has their reasons for their choices. Well, I gave you mine. Until then............

No comments: